Friday, September 4, 2009

Julia Child . . . rockstar!

My book club recently decided to read two books. First, Julia Child's own book "My Life in France" which chronicles Julia's time, post world war 2, in France and Germany. Secondly we read "Julie and Julia" a book by Julie Powell written to describe her journey cooking her way through Julia's first cook book, "Mastering the Art of French cooking".
After we finished both books we went on a field trip to see the new movie Julia and Julie . . . Meryl Streep does a dead on Julia Child by the way.

The movie (and books) made me desperately want to do some Julia Child style cooking. (Butter and Cream heavy). Yesterday I did just that. Julia's chicken with mushroom cream sauce. All I can say it yummmmmmm. Mind you, as a weight watcher member I had to significantly decrease my portion of sauce, but what I had . . . OH MY GOODNESS.

Our dinner was this: Chicken with mushroom cream sauce over roasted red potatoes. Grilled beets and asparagus, fresh chopped tomatoes/onions/garlic in an olive oil vinaigrette over baby greens. Julia invented the entree' I made up the rest.
I'm getting hungry just typing this!

I ordered the book today, (Mastering the art of french cooking) and look forward to adapting recipes in the future to make them a little "skinnier". Next on my list of must makes, Beef Bourguignon

till then, bon appetite'

2 comments:

Lore said...

Good going. I cannot wait to see the recipe. Your family is sure lucky, not only to have a wife/mother be such a good cook but such an enthusiastic cook. Mom

Ingrid said...

I think you should reauthor the book as "Julia goes Lean" or something snazzy for the WW-types! I'd buy one!