Monday, April 20, 2009

some observations


I'm a little mad with myself that I don't have the cord to my phone to upload pictures.

I haven't commented on my recent trip to NYC and had a couple of cute shots to share, oh well.

This was my first visit to Ashley's new apartment. The observation here: If you watch any TV set in NYC you are bound to believe that everyone has spacious apartments. Seinfeld, Will and Grace, Mad about You, How I met your Mother, scenes from CSI NY or any other show would lead you to believe that living space in the city is relatively the same as here in California. NOT!

Ashley has a darling new apartment, in a fantastic location but her bedroom is roughly the size of Randy's truck (maybe a teeny tiny bit bigger). The living room/kitchen combined are about the size of my bathroom (granted I have a huge bathroom). We take big space for granted here, the average New Yorker does not.

The other observation: in NY a scarf is not a accessory, it is a necessity. Living in California I'm always amused by coats and scarves. It really isn't that cold here. I packed two coats and two scarves for the trip. Glad I did, it is cold there . . and when the wind kicked up YIKKES.


My daughter loves her new city, and I love my daughter.

I will enjoy visiting her as much as time permits, but I know that I could not be an Urban dweller at this point in my life.

Big spaces and the ability to drive wherever I want, buy enough groceries for a few days and DRIVE them home, now that's what I'm all about!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm not sure if it's my "new" city anymore... but I sure do love it! And you're welcome back ANYTIME - especially once I have my own apartment!