Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday, what's on my mind


I have a couple of things on my mind this evening and I'll start with the easiest. Do you remember just a bit ago my complaining about having "pediatric illnesses"? Well, again, I've been struck with the problems of a typical two year old. Over the weekend, while Travis was home, I started feeling quite punk. My head hurt- my ear hurt- I was nauseated and dizzy. When I swam I was shaky and tired. Yesterday I felt so crummy I didn't even go out for my regular swim . . . that was when Randy knew for sure something was wrong. (that, and I looked like shit) Regardless- I went to work today feeling crummy. I went downstairs to visit with my friend Marcie- to commiserate with her after yesterday's supreme court decision (her marriage stands) anyhow . . . during our visit she commented that with all due respect, "you look terrible" I told her my pain problems and she looked into my ear- Yupp, as expected. Left ear is infected with a ruptured ear drum. So upstairs I run to make an appointment to be seen by a "grown up" MD. I made an appointment and then found my manager to explain the situation. "you can leave early, but why no have one of our pedi's examine and treat you?" Since I didn't want to get Marcie in trouble I agreed to her plan and the chief of the department examined me- Yupp same as before. Now I have one week of oral antibiotics to take, and a nice ear drop that numbs the pain- Tomorrow I'm hoping to feel much better.

In the meantime, I have something to keep me feeling a bit better.
Remember before I told you about my Czech friends who comment on my "beautiful coloring" and now whenever someone tells me "you are really tan" in that snarky tone I substitute (in my mind) "you have beautiful coloring"? I have a new such thing going on.
THREE time today I got complements on my new hair cut and or hair style. THREE times, three different people. Strange, because I haven't done a single thing different with my hair.
Here is the rub. I've been diligently "working the program" of weight watchers for the past 7 weeks. So far I've lost 14 pounds (one stone in the British measurement system) and not one SINGLE person has noticed. I've been around people who haven't noticed, but don't see me frequently- and, I have to say, it's been a little discouraging. Well today I realized, they don't know what is different, it MUST be my hair. Finally, to one of my work friends I said, "nope, my hair is exactly the same, there is just a little less of me" She looked at me and then said "okay, yes, that's it"

At the pool one of my friends Carl says, "I like your hair, it's different, isn't it?"
to him I replied "Carl, when do you see my hair? it's always in a cap!" He said, "I don't know, your hair just looks different"

I didn't tell him what was really going on.

so, from now on- you say "you are so tan" I hear "You have beautiful coloring"
you say, "Did you do something new with your hair?" I hear, "Damn you look fine with that weight loss"

so, one stone down- two more to drop

2 comments:

Lore said...

I am sorry about your ear problem but hopefully, you are on the mend. I am very proud of you for your weight loss. Can't wait to notice it myself. Mom

Ashley said...

good for you mom! so inspiring!!!