Saturday, July 19, 2008

silly law? . . . , yupp, I think so!

As of July 1st in California we can no longer talk on our cell phones, while driving, unless we are "hands free". So, just over halfway through the month I'm thinking about how this law has affected me.

Earlier in the year I purchased a bluetooth accessory for my phone in anticipation of this law. It worked "okay" and I kept it ready for the July 1st date. I lost it. So, July one rolls around I am I bereft of headset. Quickly I order a new one from EBAY. The new one is literally the size of my thumb. It arrives, I try to sync it with my phone and it doesn't work Quick communication with seller and he sends a new one, but in the meantime, I need something to work hands free. I find an old fashioned "dongle" cable to use. It is passable, I can hear the caller and they can "kind of " hear me. I use this.

The replacement bluetooth arrives. I follow instructions carefully and sync it. When I'm on the phone with my friend she tells me it sounds like I'm in a fish bowl. Crap, this is supposed to have the newest noise cancelling technology. Back to the dongle I go. Driving in my little car it's supremely evident that no sort of hands free is going to do the trick. It's now occurred to me, I need one of those headsets that pilots use- this will allow me to speak, and hear without all the ambient noise bothering everyone.

Today, as I was driving home from Napa my phone rang. Quickly I try to reach for the dongle, put it in my ear, turn on the phone, AND most importantly- keep from swerving around on the road. This new law makes us safer? I don't think so.

And, the most ridiculous part of the new law? People are allowed to text and work online (on their phones) while they drive. I was with a friend the other day who, put on her reading glasses to text her son, while driving . . . this is safe? don't think so.

No comments: