Saturday, June 28, 2008

run? jog? bouncy walk?

I'm not entirely sure how you could classify my dryland exercise adventure today. It certainly wasn't a run . . . maybe more of a jog, with a bit of a bouncy walk thrown in.

But, I did it! As you know I made a deal with myself that I was going to enter AND COMPLETE the "See Jane Tri" ladies only triathlon this fall. So, time to step up, lace up the sneakers, hit the track and see how it goes. Not too bad actually. I dug out some running garb, loaded up my little ipod with Dave Matthews music and drove over to the Monte Vista track. I know, a little counter intuitive, driving to the running spot. My idea was that the track would give me measurable "milestones" so that I could track my progress. Small problem, the MV track is closed until late July. Where now? Not SRV, chances are the Hoots would have a game there and I certainly didn't want to run into them. . .ah-ha Las Lomas in Walnut Creek- also close to Trader Joes for a dinner ingredient pick up. Although the pool at Las Lomas was full of young men playing water polo, the track was empty. Before I left for this adventure I did some reading online and decided that a slow and steady approach was going to be the best. 20 minutes of "movement" was all I was expecting of myself, broken into alternate walk/jog. So lap one, walk (sort of speedy) lap two jog . . . hmmm surprisingly not difficult. Let me say here, I could have maintained this pace and done lap three jog too, but decided to stick to the original plan and avoid "injury". Lap four jog. . . small arm pump, I've completed a mile! lap five walk, lap six jog. I could keep going, but have hit my 20 minute mark.

Kinda fun. I'm sure I'll feel something in my back or hips later but for now, I'm rather pleased.
This afternoon I'll hit the pool for the first time since the biopsy- if it stings (the incision) I'm outta there, but I'm hoping for a nice, long, stretching swim.

So, I'm officially entered. I'm starting my training. I'm going to do this thing! See Linda swim, cycle and run (or jog, or bouncy walk)

2 comments:

Lore said...

I hope all went well. I am just a little nerveous about you going into the pool with a wound that is not quite healed. Good luck. Mom

Ashley said...

Good job! Don't forget, you can always make your own route through the neighborhood and Alamo, then check your mileage on google pedometer: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ - it's a great tool!