Monday, August 18, 2008

I brought this on myself . . .



I feel like this, but acted like this . . . . a bit of a disconnect!

Here is what happened: Every now and again I have a little back "twinge" It lasts for several days and then it's but a memory for the next few months until it inexplicably returns. Last Wednesday I started to have such a twinge. Thursday I went to the pool and thought a nice, slow, stretching swim would help with the pain. Slow was the key word here and in about 1/2 hour I felt much better. At that point I was stopped on the wall and having a sip of water and noticed a camera man and some other folks on the other side of the pool, set up just outside my lane. What? I wondered what they were filming and truly prayed I wasn't in the shot but given the angle, I thought there was no way I wasn't. The man in the adjacent lane agreed and added they were from Channel 5 news. "Great" I groaned, "now I'm going to be self conscious about my swim" "Lucky you" was his reply . . . arghhhhhhhhhh
So I set off on my next set, this one with fins to give me "super power". When I made my turn I decided I needed to act like a "real" swimmer and did some underwater dolphin kicks. Geez, I felt like a super hero flying across the pool. The set went exceptionally well and I imagined myself looking much like all the Olympic athletes I'd been admiring for nearly a week. I forgot about my 50 year old body crammed into my pink suit and swam visualizing a cross between Natalie Coughlin, Michael Phelps and Dara Tores. I was magnificent, my flip turns were stunning, my underwater dolphin kicks amazing.

Now, I'm sure you are wondering, was I on the news? Nope, but my friend Michelle who does a violent flip turn that splashes the deck was, well not her so much as the tsunami she created on her turn. So I have no film evidence of my amazing turns and kicks. But, the day it to be remembered for sure. Those dolphin kicks played havoc on my back and I've been paying since. Ashley reminded me I am not a competitive swimmer and such kicks are unnecessary. I agreed and am a bit embarrassed about my attempts at notoriety. Clearly the story of the day was not "Amazing 50 year old women, in pink suits, imagining they are Olympic swimmers" . . . film at 11.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You should just shoot for the 2012 Olympics!

Lore said...

Man, I wrote a long comment and then it went away. Rats. Mom