Monday, January 26, 2009

Instant society . . .

Are you as amazed as I am at how quickly we can do things now?
Constantly I am awed by the amount of information I can quickly access using my computer.
I remember being in school and having to write a paper. This took hours of research time at the library, writing a draft report and then typing the paper along with footnotes. The worst part was laying out the darn thing and then finding you didn't have room at the bottom of the page for the footnotes. Don't even get me started about typing errors! Kids these days have it pretty good. Between Google, Ask, and all other possible references online it's amazing HOW FAST information is available.
Not only information but shopping is incredible.

Case in point:
Remember in my previous post I told you about Ashley's ice encounter?
Tuesday night, while watching TV I fired up the laptop and found several options for Ashley to chose from for sturdy, good traction, cold weather boots. The next day she called me (with her cell phone from NYC- no charge for distance . . . do you remember 'long distance?') and had chosen a pair. While on the phone I clicked my mouse a few times and ta-da boots to be shipped directly to her within the next couple of days.

I can't even imagine how long this would have taken when I was Ashley's age. Think about it. We would have had to scour catalogues, called back and forth (long distance $$) and then finally found the appropriate boot.

I love this instant gratification! I'm going to order a new bathing suit now . . .

2 comments:

Lore said...

We often talk about all the points you made and then go further to compare what things were like for our parents, counting our blessing how good we have it. Good blog. Mom

Anonymous said...

If you think, as mom points out, about the step-function improvements with each generation, can you just imagine how our grandkids and their grandkids will function? I can't (I didn't even believe in the PC revolution until I joined the industry).

If I had to predict, there will be lots of advancements in health care and records sharing/management... but who knows?!