Monday, February 23, 2009

fusion . . .

Everyone, at one time in their life, should have a job that makes them appreciate what they do later in life. My such job was between my Junior and Senior year of college. I worked on an assembly line making pet feeders, and packaging supplies for pets. The job was HORRIBLE. We started early in the morning (6:30am) and worked very hard. The ladies on the line were all "career" workers- this was just a pit stop for me, but for them, this was it. If you remember the early episodes of the Roseanne show (when George Clooney was on) she worked on an assembly line, mine was quite similar.

So, where am I going with this particular wander down memory lane? Over the weekend I went to visit Travis in Santa Barbara. Austin's (Travis' roommate) father owns a company which produces energy drinks. Austin and Travis have been "contracted" to package these drinks for display and sale. I spent four hours "working the line" with them. We assembled display boxes and packaged product. Austin packaged for shipment. It was "sort of" like working on the line- only when I worked at the pet supply place I wasn't able to sit, sip a lovely IPA or watch movies.
These kids don't know how good they've got it!

2 comments:

Lore said...

Oh how well I remember that summer when you had that job. Even though I felt a bit sorry for you, I kept reassuring you that you will look back on it with appreciation for your success and compassion for the people who have to spend their lives making a living that way. Thanks, that was a great blog entry. Mom

Anonymous said...

Just like Laverne and Shirley