Wednesday, February 4, 2009

knit, purl, unravel.

Well . . what's new?
I finally made it back to the pool for an evening swim this past Monday.
It had been months since I had gone to the pool with the regularity of the past. I barely kept up with my mileage goals in December by having incredibly long swims whenever I could make it but to go more frequently, and for an hour swim at a time is much more comfortable. I finished 2008 with just over 330 miles. 2009 Started with a disappointing January total so my work is cut out for me! Now, I hope I don't talk myself out of going this evening when the temperature is sure to be less than two days ago.

I am enjoying the new found energy that regular exercise provides and have applied that towards knitting in the evening. I'm more than 1/2 done with the leg warmers I designed for Ashley, designed and finished two hats for Kyle, made some slippers for Ashley and now am embarking on a sweater/shrug for myself. This is my next project, only I'm not making it in purple, and I promise not to wear this skirt.

The reason I mention this to you related to a conversation I had with Ashley yesterday. Sunday she went to a "stitch and bitch" session in New York. While there she started work on a hat. I taught her how to make hats with a circular needle when she was in college and this was the project she was rediscovering. Yesterday she said her hat had an odd bump (forgot her exact word) and what should she do. Ultimately I encouraged her to start over. Best to complete a project you are proud of, not one with some strange affectation. I told her I can find tons of little issues with nearly every project I make, but one that changes the entire look, probably best to start over. I have restarted this sweater 3 times. I am hoping that this third start is the charm and it will soon begin to take shape and resemble in some fashion the model sweater.

Knitting is much like life. You learn from the little mistakes and sometimes come to love them- it's those big errors it would be best to completely remove and start over from.

1 comment:

Lore said...

I admire how you taught yourself to knit sweaters and big projects. A successfully completed project is food for the soul. Maybe you can enter some of that at fairs along with your wine and win prized on that as well. Mom