Tuesday, March 11, 2008

an exclusive club. . .

I never belonged to a sorority or any kind of secret society. I've eschewed any kind of "club" that sought just certain kinds of members but have just discovered that I am in full qualification for one of these elite clubs. Yes, it's true, the AARP wants me! I got a card in the mail which if I paid the annual membership would consequently become active. What does one get for this?

I'm told by a card carrying member that she enjoys discounts on car rentals. Well, I seldom require that, and AAA takes care of that nicely. What else? Insurance discounts, got that covered too. Aside from that it appears to be a front for a lobbying organization . . .I'll pass.

So, today I'm FIFTY!! How does it feel? umm, I day older than 49 I guess.
I enjoyed my day enormously. The EBAY stuff (as usual) a trip to costco, a pedicure and then a magnificent swim. 4050 yards, this translates to 2.3 miles! After the swim Leila and I sat on deck and she told me that she had read that "older women" are the lost segment of society. I guess the thought is that we blend in and aren't seen. Well, here is one fifty year old who plans to not fade into wallpaper. I'm fifty, and I'm fierce . . . move over young ladies, here comes Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love being the first to blogment a birthday greeting! Glad you had a fantastic day -- you deserve it. Love you.... from your baby sister!

Lore said...

I guess the next blogment has to be from me, the producer of the author and the first blogmenter. I hear you as far as not being seen but in spite of your intentions not to let that happen, there are times when people seem to look right thru you and you think to yourself: I wonder if they even care that I am here. Oh well, such is life and as long as one can complain about it, life is still precious. Happy middle age. Love, Mom

Ashley said...

So the third blogment has to be from me, the production of the author and the subproduction of the second blogmenter and the unique parallel/niece/goddaughter of the first blogmenter. What the blogment I lost my train of thought... Oh right! When you said you were a "fierce fifty year old" I imagined Christian from Project Runway, or rather, Amy Poehler's SNL parody of Christian from Project Runway. Love, ME!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the fourth blogment AKA the brother in-law or first blogmenter, son in-law of the second blogmenter and father of the third blogmenter and husband of the blogger. I'm TIRED! I must be over 50. You are a 50 year old studette! WOW! 2.3 miles, that is a pretty decent walk let alone a swim. I'm proud to be your non swimming, part-time yoga (maybe), possible Kauai condo owner, best friend and lifetime partner. Hope you had a happy birthday with the best to come. (NEW YORK HERE WE COME). Maybe AARP has discounts on air travel or hotel rooms.
Love, R