Saturday, May 31, 2008

flavorful memories

You know how certain music can just transport you back to a specific memory? Smell can also do the same and I have discovered so can taste.
Recently Randy loaned a bunch of his fishing equipment to a local private High School who used it to decorate for a retirement dinner. After the dinner they returned the items along with a lovely thank you and a small canister of butter mints. Mindlessly I opened one of the mints and was immediately transported back some 45 years to my Great Aunt and Uncle's home on Sproul avenue in Napa. Near the door, in a small cut crystal dish Tante Hilde (Aunt) always had butter mints. Mind you, hers were the bigger "bonus" size ones. Heavenly! We were allowed one after dinner and just maybe another when we left. The other fabulous thing about this house was the built in raised fish pond in the back. So, whenever I eat a butter mint, I'm there, smaller than I am now and looking into that fish pond.
When I was first married I tried to get use out of some of my small crystal dishes by copying Tante Hilde and putting butter mints into them. Since there were no small children visiting, and Randy doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, you can imagine where all the mints went. I learned quickly that this wasn't a good idea. This has been re proven recently as I have eaten nearly every mint in the canister while Kyle and Randy avoid them. It's been worth it though, time travel is cool.

2 comments:

Lore said...

Sweet memories. I wish Tante Hilde was here to read what you wrote. Mom

Anonymous said...

As you can imagine this meant so much to me, too... I was reduced to tears. I also remember drinking our coveted ginger ale or other soda ("just one cup"), on finger dipping at a time.

Sense of smell for me, particularly at this time of the year, brings Mrs. Barton to me everyday. I leave my office each day to the scent of star jasmine... just like the ones on Sid's porch. Sweet memories!