Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A fond farewell


It will be a long time before I will be able to look at this, or any other picture of Murray without spontaneously breaking into tears.

Last Wednesday we had to say goodbye to our dear Murray. He has been slowing down recently, but heck at over 10 1/2 years old- that is allowed. Randy commented on Tuesday night that he would walk Murray on Wednesday when he got home from work. He attempted that walk but found him too weak to even return home and subsequently took him to the vet. I just "knew" that there would be something wrong. I called Kyle at school who left his class and met Randy at the vet. I left work early and drove as quickly as I could to the vet. When I entered the room about 45 minutes later the vet had made her diagnosis and recommendations. It appears that Murray had one or several tumors in his abdomen. Of particular concern was one in his liver, wrapping around organs and compressing the bowels. He was uncomfortable and we knew what we had to do. The cancer was inoperable and the most humane thing to do was to let him go. Fortunately we were with him, hugged him, reassured him and loved him as he passed.

I don't know what your belief system is, and I don't really care. I am sure Murray is in heaven now, chasing squirrels and waiting for the rest of us to join him.

I love you Murray.

The best dog . . . ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really sorry for your loss. I've been there twice and realize it takes a lot of love and courage to make that right decision. In my belief system Murray has met Akita, recognized his scent and forged a bond.

RIP Murray

Lore said...

No agument from me. I admire your courage and am ever so thankful, that this kind of job does not fall on me, it would tear me apart. I agree with Ingrids analogy. Love Mom

Ashley said...

Not much more to say than... well said.

Best dog ever.