Sunday, February 17, 2008

annoyances and solutions. . .

Happy Sunday!


I just returned from the pool and a quick trip into Target'

First off, year to date swim total is . . . .drumroll please . . . 46.49 miles. I wasn't able to add to my total significantly this week due to that strange bug but according to my spreadsheet am still on target to finish the year at 300 miles (goal). Hopefully I can get good swims in tomorrow and Tuesday to keep things going!


And now on to my annoyances, and my solutions.

Both yesterday and today the pool has been set to long course. What this means is that instead of swimming the "short" way in the pool 25 yards, it is set to "long" 50 meters. Naturally this means there are less lanes available and you share with one or more people and swim in a circle, always staying right (as if driving). That said today when one of my pool friends left I briefly had the lane to myself. I set off to the other side and felt a large amount of thrashing in front of me, I put my head up to see a rather large woman (new nickname, Large Marge) who was doing aquasize in the MIDDLE of the lane. I tried to duck and weave around her and managed finally to get around, I turned my head to give her a little stink eye (through goggles) and there she was GIVING ME THE EYE! I was so annoyed that I did a perfectly executed flip turn and swam right past her again. (had I mentioned that I have mastered the turn?) anyhow, the next 1000 meters meant swimming around her (no easy feat) and once finished I was anxious to find out when the pool would be returning to short course.


Second annoyance, and maybe this happens to you to. I was at Target, ran in for dogfood and toilet paper and had just finished returning my cart to the cart corral after loading the trunk when the couple beside me finished loading their car. Once finished they put their cart beside my drivers door such that I was unable to get into my car. Hmmm, how do you respond to that? "oh, let me get that for you" was my response (insert HEAVY sarcasm here). "you don't need to" responded the heavily made up lady. "I do if I want to get into my car" I snapped. "That's nice" she replied (insincerely). "anything to make your day better" I replied flatly.
The bonus here? I got in the last word (always important) I was saying nice things (not meaning them) and I got the extra exercise walking that cart to the collection spot . . . judging by the backside of her, she seldom does anything extra.
Enjoy your Presidents Day- hopefully you don't have to work.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That lady in your picture looks like either a large buoy or a Bay Bridge protection abutment to keep oil tankers from running aground. Good thing she is doing aquasize. Do they have a tsunami alert at the pool for keeping small children from being swept away? Maybe next time you just ram her like the Cosco Busan did and see if she holds.
Nice job on your mileage!

Anonymous said...

You feel better now that you have vented? I do sympathize in the shopping cart incident as I have several shopping cart pet peeves. Mom