Thursday, February 7, 2008

it's all in the name

Do you know the name of your postman? How about your neighbor, around the corner whose house you pass as you walk and each day you wave? What about the guy who swims in the lane next to your most often on Monday and Wednesday evenings? (Okay, that's mine) anyhow, this is about how good are you or we as a society, of recognizing people on the periphery of our lives by name.
I'm HORRIBLE with names. Numbers, I'm great. If you were to introduce yourself with your phone number or address we would be good but names, I'm terrible. What's worse is I meet new people so frequently I should develop a better system. Each time I have a new patient, I usually have at least two- Baby and Mom, then of course sometimes Dad tags along. Those people have one name to remember (me) and I give them lots of paper work with my name plastered all over it, I have three to remember and I do it poorly. Also at work I have made it a priority to learn and remember names of people around me. These aren't necessarily "colleagues" but for instance the housekeeper (Gwen) who I rely upon to set up the conference room for my weekly group, or the fellow who delivers mail (Rueben), and the guy who brings me fresh lab coats (Carlos). Calling people by name makes everyone feel better, of this I'm sure- and, I seldom have problems with my room, my mail, or my lab coats (but others do).

When I don't know someone’s name, but see them frequently I give them a nickname. I don't say the nickname aloud, but just in my head. Most time the nickname is two parts, physical description (size, sex etc) and then some sort of verb, adjective or adverb. Example: when I started swimming at Heather Farms there was a fellow who came Tuesday/Thursday afternoons who I called "walking guy". He would run or walk his laps instead of swimming. Other pool regulars are "sunscreen face" (a lady who covers her face in zinc oxide) "swimming judge" who used to be "reading guy" A man who I have found to be a retired judge (although I still don't know his proper name. There are also "cocky idiot 1 and 2" two guys who’s names very well describe them and finally "Gary”. Gary is a name that fits this guy, I have no idea of his real name, and this just suits him in my head. I do have friends at the pool that I know by proper name, Carol, Vlaska, Helena, Michelle, Amy, Tony, and Eric (who I used to call Tattoo guy). The funny part of this is one evening I was chatting with Tattoo guy and he introduced himself as Eric (last name Pharmaceutical rep) and while we were chatting another guy jumped into the conversation. I couldn't concentrate as he introduced himself as I kept thinking "That's walking guy" I told him the story and he laughed for the longest time, finally he requested I just call him that, he preferred Walking guy to his own name. . . wonder what his Mom would think about that?

I thought about this last night as I entered the pool just as my newest pool buddy "Australian guy" got there. We had a nice little two minute chat before he wished me "cheers" and set off on his swim. Nice guy, has a two year old son, but I don't know his name. . . that will be my next name to learn.
Well, I'm happy so happy to have sunshine today! Shortly I'm off to the pool to soak in some of that glorious sun, I'll be sure to give regards to "Idiots 1 and 2" "Gary" and any other regulars I see today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked your nicknames for your pool cronies. Most people are not good with names. I'm one of those people. I try to make an effort to repeat their names when I here them. If I don't, 30 seconds later I've forgotten it. I think that is the majority of people. What do you think people call you? Maybe mile a day woman, or lady that nicknames people, or maybe the vino lady because of the license plate. Don't stop your nicknames because I enjoy hearing about them.

Anonymous said...

I just read my comments and I can't believe I spelled here instead of hear. Oh well maybe I'm the guy who can't spell very well. No, maybe I'm the ADD guy. That probably fits better.

Ashley said...

I'm laughing at what Dad wrote before me... hahaha. If it's useful for you, the best way to solidify someone's name in your head is to repeat it out loud after they introduce themselves. Then try to use it in your brief conversation once or twice to really get it in your head... like, "Well, Linda, I am really enjoying reading your blog these days. Linda, what is the weather like on the West Coast right now? Oh, you're such a funny lady, Linda." See, now I have memorized your name.

Lore said...

Funny stuff. You are my daughter for sure. I am good at numbers, fair to poor at names and ha nicknames for so many people we encounter on our daily walks. One jogger is Mrs. bouncy, our neighbor behind us is Mr. Personality, another women is Mrs. Congeniality, although after years of looking down, the other direction or whatever, she now waves and even says an audible Hi. I have a couple more but yuou get my drift. Mom -
To add to the confusion, I never knew I had a son in law named Sanford.