Thursday, January 10, 2008

and we will miss you . . .

Within the last several months I have had an aunt pass away. Kyle had a friend die weeks before Christmas, my friend lost her husband days before Christmas and just yesterday Randy's Uncle Ron succumbed to a short battle with lung cancer. But, this isn't going to be a gloomy post. Each of these people remain in our hearts and thoughts, today I'm only going to talk about one though. Uncle Ron was a force of nature. A career military man who was as comfortable on an aircraft carrier as he was out hunting or playing pinochle with the family. I have a good Uncle Ron and Randy story and of course, it involves hunting. Ron was always looking for a hunting partner when he came to Napa, or more recently to our home in the East bay. Many years ago (about 26 or more) when in Napa visiting his mom (Nana) he invited Randy to go out duck/geese hunting with him. They had a great time and scored well (see picture below). Randy's goose was especially large and my Mom dressed that bird and made it for New Years dinner that year. It wasn't especially tasty though and I couldn't blame my Mom for that. It wasn't until a bit later that we discovered that that giant goose was instead a swan! Can you imagine? Several years ago, during a visit North, Ron invited Kyle to go pig hunting with him. Kyle had a great time, and often comments on Ron's unorthodox hunting rules . . good times.


Uncle Ron will be missed- especially in May at Bay to Breakers. What will the naked girls do without his comments? Looks like we are going to have to sent a contingent over to run in his memory, and keep up the dialogue with passing runners. Not always politically correct, Ron called them like he saw them . . . and would tell us after the race what he said to people on the road.


I'm sure that once he made it to heaven yesterday he checked in with Nana, whistled to Judy and Turtle and took off for a hike and a little hunting- that would surely be his vision of heaven.


we will miss you Ron.







3 comments:

Ashley said...

That was so sweet... made my evening to remember how fun Uncle Ron was every May.

Lore said...

Our condolences for the loss of uncle Ron. I will chime in with my dewey-eyed comment. Must be mental telepathy but I was thinking of that New Years meal just yesterday. I had never seen such dark meat before or since for that matter. Tried to doctor that up as best as I could but it just couldn't be done. Still, it goes in the category of fond memories, right beside the Betsy and the London broil steak. Much love, Mom

Anonymous said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful character...and I'm glad there wasn't any confusion in the swine department!