Friday, January 4, 2008

Walkabout

Walkabout is an Australian pidgin (or perhaps quasi-pidgin) term referring to the belief that Australian Aborigines "go walkabout" at the age of thirteen in the wilderness for six months as a rite of passage. They then trace the path of the ceremonial ancestors of their tribe, following the exact route that those ancestors took, and imitating in a fashion, their heroic deeds.
Why, you wonder, am I sharing this information with you?
Murray, our eldest golden retriever, on occasion finds the need for what we call his walkabout. Though at nearly 10 he is way past that 13 year old age that the Aborigines consider appropriate for this activity (if the old "1 dog year is 7 people years" is true, Murray is nearly 70), Murray goes, usually about 2-3 times per year on his own little adventure. For years we attributed this to Tucker, they younger "wilder" dog and assumed Murray was just a co-conspirator. As time went by we realized that Murray is the mastermind of the escapes and Tucker was just going along for the ride. The past several great escapes have been solo adventures for Murray as Tucker remains behind.
This morning, after a long night of hard rain and incredible winds I got up (late) for work. After an abbreviated shower and uninspired clothing choices I packed my bag to leave for work. Before leaving though, I thought it prudent to bring the boys (Murray and Tucker) inside. Tucker was asleep in front of the patio door but Murray was no-where to be found. After whistling several times I realized that he was likely not in the yard. I walked the property for about 10 minutes (and ended up just as wet as apres' shower) and at this point knew that if I didn't get on the road, i would be more than an hour late for work. Reluctantly I woke Kyle and told he what was up. I got into the car and set out for work, eyes sweeping each street looking for Murray. I drove through the last neighborhood he walked to about 3-4 months ago which is over 2 miles from home, but alas- he wasn't there either. As I made my way to work my stomach was in knots and I was so incredibly worried that I didn't even fuss with the long drive in horrible weather. Once at work I checked messages at home hoping someone had called having found Murray. I studied the animal shelter website to determine what to do next and then finally called Kyle. Kyle had found Murray, just about 100 yards from home having visited our neighbors (which was always his destination as a puppy). Now I'm breathing easier and Randy and I agree it's time to get that boy (Murray, not Kyle) out for his regular walks. He has spoken loudly that not going out is not okay with him! Below you will see a depiction of a conversation between Murray and Tucker (Tucker speaking) as Murray plans another great escape.



Stay dry Californians!
oh, and way to go Mr. Obama yesterday in Iowa (YIPPEEEEEE)

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh Murray... such a mischievous old puppy!

Anonymous said...

I bet Murray felt the need to venture forth to check out all the new smells brought on by this deluge...SO glad that Kyle found him!

Anonymous said...

Wise old Murray knows the way to get want he wants. I promise at least one walk per week from now on.