Friday, January 25, 2008

punctuation? ! - .....

I love to write, I hate to think about correct punctuation.
I'm always nervous that one of my super smart friends is going to read this blog and wonder to themselves, I really thought she was smarter than this . . . hmmmm.
So, now you know my fear.
That aside, my tendency to eschew the correct use of punctuation reminds me of one of my favorite actors. Christopher Walken is reputed to have an assistant remove all punctuation from scripts- I did some research and this is what I found
At some point, Walken developed an aversion to traditional punctuation. He's said that he would sometimes cross out punctuation marks in textbooks, and he still crosses out punctuation in his scripts today. Instead, he's explained that he reads scripts and speaks his lines with a dancer's cadence in his mind, sort of vocally "dancing" the lines. The words come out in Walken's signature style, often parodied by impressionists, to Walken's own delight.
So from now on, I'm the Christopher Walken of the blog scene.
Don't worry, I won't entirely stop using punctuation. As you know in English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences. For example, "woman, without her man, is nothing," and "woman: without her, man is nothing," have greatly different meanings, as do "eats shoots and leaves" and "eats, shoots and leaves". This in mind, if there is any ambiguity I shall clear it up with the appropriate placement of symbols, otherwise, beware of my usual dots and dashes.

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never liked English grammer.

Lore said...

Don't worry, you are doing very well in your writing. You know way more than you want to admit.