Sunday, January 20, 2008

travis and moms weekend of fun

I arrived Saturday afternoon to see the beautiful ocean, sunny skies and a big smile on the face of my son. It was so nice to be in the SUN, with my SON!

Since Travis is a film major, and rarely says "no" to a paid for movie he was agreeable to my choice of Twenty Seven Dresses. I loved it and Travis later described it to Randy as "one of mom's chick flicks", but he liked it too. That evening we dined at Intermezzo (where Ashley used to work), nice dinner- and an interesting flavor combo which I stole and made for dinner tonight. Flat bread, fresh mozzarella, arugula with olive oil, salt and pepper, topped with prosciutto . yummmmmmmm. Back to the hotel where we watched Nanny Diaries. Sunday morning, after a nice breakfast off we went to church to enjoy a service and say hello to all Ashley's buddies (this is where she was a paid singer) The guest Minister was very interesting with his sermon threaded with information from his service as a missionary in Iraq for the past 17 years. After church we raced back to Goleta for another movie Enchanted which we both really enjoyed. Travis thought he would like to go surfing but in the moments it took him to change into his wetsuit and for us to get to the beach (down the stairs from his house) the wind came up and the temp dropped precipitously! After a couple of hundred yards we abandoned this idea and instead drove to the harbor for an early dinner. On the way out to the pier we saw a sand artist and his latest creation . . . a lovely, yet haunting sculpture.


After not being separated for nearly 36 hours I approved of Travis spending time with friends on Sunday night while I stayed "in" doing my old lady knitting and watching Weeds on his computer. Believe it or not, I watched ALL of season three in one sitting! The sweater I was working on showed my inattention, but I thoroughly enjoyed my evening of quiet.

Monday morning we met for breakfast and then did a marathon of grocery shopping- so much fun! Travis is a discriminating shopper and eater. He is quite fastidious about label reading and loaded up on all kinds of organic and other healthy foods . . . it was great. It was hard to leave after such a great weekend but I'm already looking forward to my next visit.
Here is a bit of advice for parents . . . encourage your kids to go to college in a cool place to visit- I scored with Santa Barbara!




2 comments:

Ashley said...

Awww I miss SB...

Anonymous said...

Great update! I miss SB AND Travis too!