Thursday, January 24, 2008

insert expletive here


This should be subtitled, did that really just come out of my mouth, or is there a truck driver in here with me.

Let me explain

Today, after my swim I left the pool and started driving to the bank. There was a fairly steady mist coming down, but no real rain. I made the wrong turn onto a street which wasn't going to get me to the bank. (note here that I am also in a bit of a hurry, I need to reach the post office before it closes and I have about 30 minutes to do my banking and get to the post office). After a series of turns I was finally headed in the correct direction. To reach my destination I needed to turn right onto Ygnacio Valley Road, a fairly well travelled 6 lane road, it was 4:30 and traffic was heavy. As I waited to turn right onto Ygnacio I watched for a break in traffic as well as the lights in all directions. I noticed the lights go to yellow and knew that soon I would be able to turn, the pedestrian signal was blinking red indicating there should be no person stepping of the curb on my side . . . I creep forward just as a VERY LARGE man steps into the cross walk. Initially stunned I look at him and mouth "sorry" his reply was to give a rather nasty look, ball up a fist and strike the hood of my beloved Miata. In the blink of an eye I went from stunned to FURIOUS. Initial glances at my hood seemed to indicate that no damage had been done, regardless I rolled down the window and shouted at this person, let's say here I wasn't nice, I commented on his size, and his questionable parentage, his intelligence and . . . there was also detonation of the F bomb.
I was still shaking when I arrived at the bank minutes later and while waiting in line the man in front of me kept turning around and staring . . . the still provoked side of me wanted to yell at him and ask him what he was staring at, the calm me prevailed and I didn't pick a fight in the parking lot at Bank of the West.

A couple of hours ago I relayed this story to Kyle. As he heard it he marveled at how calm he thought I remained. His comment was that he probably would have been out of the car, chasing the guy down and then punching him. Wow, I felt a little better already. Just as we finished this discussion I went out to put recycling in the can, and when I went out I noticed that there was indeed a dent where that creep had socked my car! I hadn't noticed it before due to the mist, now there was a greasy little dent in my car! I whole new string of expletives leaped to my lips, but they didn't pass . . . I wasn't going to let this loser ruin my evening too.

Sometimes the appropriate positioning of expletives is what you need . . .
usually not, but sometimes it works.


4 comments:

Ashley said...

Yikes! Maybe you should just sell your Miata and buy a Smart Car...

Lore said...

Looking past all your frustration, I am sorry that you got a dent in the car but I am glad that YOU are o.k., Mom

Anonymous said...

Growing up I knew when mom and dad were mad when I hear "For Crying out Loud!". Knowing that I'm pretty quick to curse -- in traffic, at my own gaffs at home, and under my breath (usually) at work -- I have adopted the Mom&Dad phrase as my code word for VERY bad swear words (including the F-Bomb). My peers/team and kids know what it means to me and it can even bring a smile to an otherwise tension filled moment. I even gave it its own acronym (FCOL) which is very handy in instant messaging at work.

All that said, occasionally a string of swear words and even the F-Bomb are very therapeutic, FCOL.

Incidentally, not-so-occasionally I find pedestrians to be the most thoughtless players on the road. This is a topic on which I lecture my kids often; living near the schools I expect them to watch the traffic flow and NOT step into the crosswalk if a car is waiting patiently at the stop sign and has an opportunity to make their road-entrance. I also get really mad when well intending adults STAND in the cross walk and wave me through. No thanks, I’d rather not break the law, you’re already there. Enough! This ain’t my blog after all!

Anonymous said...

It's probably a good thing that it wasn't me driving the Miata. You probably would have still trying to get me out of jail. (My East Palo Alto years)