Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I got home from the pool about 2 1/2 hours ago and my toes are still cold. As I dressed to go swimming this evening I kept telling myself, "it will be great once you're in and moving, it will be nice, you will feel so good after . . . ."
I lied to myself. I knew it at the time, but felt guilty missing a swim.
It didn't feel great once I was in and moving, it was not nice and after the swim I am still cold. I had horrendous leg and toe cramps, the lady who shared my lane did a butterfly stroke which not only hogged most of the lane but caused wakes that made breathing in the vicinity nearly impossible.
You know what made me keep swimming, despite my near paralysis with kicking due to leg cramps that threatened drowning? It's that damn excel program that I have going to keep track of my mileage. I couldn't face putting nothing in the column for today and less than 1 1/2 miles felt like nothing. Why must I be so compulsively competitive with myself?
Well, I'm off to bed (with socks on to warm my toes). I'll read some Jane Austin (snore) and figure out what time of day tomorrow will be the warmest for a swim. 70 degree weather or warmer cannot come soon enough for me!
Let's face it, I'm much more of a manatee than a polar bear.
FYI a manatee is also known as the sea cow.

2 comments:

Lore said...

I finally cought up on all my blog reading. Interesting stuff. I enjoyed sharing your visit with Travis. Maybe we can aqueese in a camping trip to Carpenteria to have a visit with Travis. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, Love R