Monday, January 7, 2008

Let them grow up already . . .

My mind is swirling and I'm not sure that this is going to make much sense, but I'm going to try anyhow. Excuse me as I climb up onto my soapbox . . .okay, I'm up here, now here I go. My frustration today is with parents. I often am asked by patients "if I hold the baby all the time, and respond early to crying, will I spoil them?" answer: "no, you don't spoil with affection or attention, you spoil with stuff" "if you don't buy them a pony on their demand, (or any item they wish for capriciously) you probably won't spoil them". Take this a few years into the baby's future. If you constantly give in "because it's easier" you've set up a dynamic in which the kid rules the roost. This behavior crosses all social/economic strata. Families who can't afford to buy the latest games or electronic equipment give in to their children by way of groceries. High sugar drinks and high fat snacks are what many kids ask for, and the obliging parent gives. I heard on the radio today that with the burgeoning diagnosis of type 2 diabetes this generation may well precede their parents in death . . .frightening isn't it! Carry this further down the road, if you continue to support your adult children, past the point of reason, you are spoiling them. Why does this matter to me? These "grown ups" are now in society, making decisions which do affect me (voting) and their attitudes toward things is through their rose colored glasses. Many of these kids live far beyond their own means, heaven help them should the gravy train run dry and they actually have to figure things out.
And what, you may wonder, makes me think I have any authority to write about this? Well, not much except in the case of obese toddlers, I had none (of three kids) . So far I only have one "child" who can be considered an adult- college graduate and living on her own. All expenses are self paid (except her cell phone which I laughingly say i will pay until she makes more money than me) This isn't to say that if she needed help for something I wouldn't be there- but, she doesn't rely on me for day to day help. I have still two kids to go, here's to crossing fingers and hoping they do as well.
Well, I warned you- told you my mind was swirling. Now, down I come from the soapbox and will try avoid too many trips up there to rant.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Haahaha... smiling so big right now!

Anonymous said...

Was looking for the connection to my parenting style, but I think I'm in the clear. Please advise me directly if I'm missing a point.

Lore said...

As i started reading this, my stomach was tightening up in knots, thinking, what have I done wrong now but reading on, I got your drift and could finish the article in a relaxed fashion. Yes, I agree on all those points and shake my head sometimes when I see how some parents handle this whole parenting situation. At the same time, I look at many with great admiration. Mom

Anonymous said...

My personal goal for my two-successful independence.
Amen.