Sunday, January 13, 2008

pictures of you, pictures of me

Coincidence? The last song I listened to on my swim mp3 player during today's workout was a song by the Cure "Pictures of you" A couple of hours later I am at a memorial service for a friends husband in which the daughters had created a lovely slide show. Pictured in the presentation were images of Peter from early years to present day. While watching that I realized something, though there are heaps of pictures of me as a young girl, and through school, once I had kids of my own the pictures seldom include me. I am not blaming anybody but myself for this. Like many women I'm not particularly pleased with my appearance. I remember the days where I did look good, with little effort- those days are very long gone and to see myself, as I actually look today, isn't something I enjoy. But, I must remember, this is how I go through each day . . . each one of you are subjected to this appearance, and rarely anyone runs away screaming!. And so, I've made a deal with myself , though I'm not going to become a camera whore (as I was when little, just look at the family movies) I am not going to run away from every photo op. This is me, this is how I look, I've got a family who loves me as I am. so there!
This unfortunate self picture was taken minutes ago when I made this decision. With luck, future shots will be a little kinder!


Oh, and as an aside, Ashley thought it would be a good idea to post my progress to my 300 mile swim year. My year to date total is 12.15 miles. (and three successful flip turns)

now, time to make dinner and then watch Amazing Race!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I like your resolution to take more photos! And nice work on your swimming to date - I didn't know you had completed 3 successful flip turns! Good job!

Lore said...

Yes I know what you mean about pictures. I seem to dodge the camera a lot, especially when Dad is walking around with it. Have to be appretiative of the sentiment behind it though. However, often when I have been somewhere and I looe at all the pictures taken at the event, I ask myself, was I even there or did they tear up all the unfortunate shots.
Congratulations on your flip turns.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful to me and have always been. You never let me take pictures of you. Maybe now you will. I love you!